Just about everyone I spend time with, my friends, family, students and other spiritual teachers, is highly sensitive. I attribute that fact not only to the Spiritual work that I do, but because as humans, we are drawn to like-minded people. And, while the sensitive people I know do share certain character traits, like intuition, empathy, and compassion, they’re by no means cookie-cutter copies of one another!
As a highly sensitive person, you have a good feel for other people. Your emotional intelligence draws people to you. When dealing with others, you instinctively know what “makes them tick” and you have a knack for making them feel valued and understood. But guess what? You might spend so much time tuned into other people that you don’t think about your own needs.
So, my sensitive friend, I urge you to take a few minutes to focus on yourself. You can start now by taking a look at the questions below and checking off the ones that apply to you.
- Do you often have difficulty letting go of negative thoughts and emotions?
- Do you feel physical symptoms when something unpleasant happens?
- Have you often been told you’re too sensitive or emotional?
- Do you walk into a room and sense the mood?
- Do you tend to beat yourself up about even little things?
- Do you feel there’s something different or “wrong” with you?
- Do you feel close to nature and animals?
- Do you tend to take things personally?
- Do you often worry about what others are thinking?
- Are you easily startled?
- Do you find it difficult to just let things go?
- Do you easily take on other people’s problems and emotions – as if they’re your own?. Do you tend to keep your emotions bundled up inside?
- Do you feel awkward in group situations?
- Do large crowds drain your energy?
- Do you feel uncomfortable when around bright lights or strong smells?
- Do you have difficulty asking for what you want? Do you tend to settle for less?
- Do you have a hard time accepting criticism?
- Do you tend to reach for food or other substances when stressed?
How many questions did you answer yes to? Five or more confirms what I suspected! You are a Highly Sensitive Person or HSP for short.
Now let’s dig deeper to find out how your sensitivity shows up. What kind of HSP are you? Answer these questions by selecting the response that is MOST like you:
When you walk into a party or large gathering, the first thing you notice is:
- The noise level, lighting, and how many people are crowded in the room.
- How welcoming the crowd is – are people staying in closed groups or mingling and meeting new people.
- The undercurrents in the room. Is someone angry or worried or is there tension any of the guests.
- What drinks and snacks are being served.
In romantic relationships, you enjoy:
- Setting the mood with soft music, candles and massage.
- Sharing your feelings, and encouraging your partner to reveal their fears, hopes and dreams.
- Predicting what the future has in store for both of you.
- Attending concerts, movies and plays.
Your ideal job is one where:
- There’s a lovely environment with lots of light, and you have a comfortable office or cubicle.
- The culture is key! People are warm and friendly and spend time together in and out of the office.
- There is the potential for new inventions, innovations and growth.
- The pay is generous and you have the freedom to take time off.
As a young child, your happiest memories were of:
- Spending time at the park or the ocean.
- Having sleepovers and sharing secrets with close friends.
- “Playing pretend” and imagining yourself in exciting scenarios.
- Receiving a gift that you’d longed for.
At a museum, you gravitate toward:
- Exhibits of photography, especially black and white photos of natural settings.
- Losing yourself in the work of impressionists like Monet and Degas, with visible light and soft colors.
- Studying modern, abstract art, where you can try to decipher what the artist is trying to convey.
- Traveling exhibits, or whatever is currently popular.
If you selected mostly a’s: You’re physically sensitive. Easily overwhelmed by crowds, noise and bright lights, the Physically Sensitive Person is happiest in small groups, sharing meaningful conversation with friends. Make sure to create a healthy, uncluttered environment for yourself at home and at the office. To recharge, spend some quality time with yourself – meditating, reading or enjoying nature.
If you selected mostly b’s: You’re empathically sensitive. You easily tune into what others are feeling, and you always know the right thing to say. You’re famous for being a good listener, which makes you a popular friend and co-worker. The downside is that you can become burdened by the energy of others – so take time to ground yourself with a salt bath, time in the garden, or a walk in the woods!
If you selected mostly c’s: You’re intuitively sensitive. Your sensitivity goes far beyond what you can see, hear and touch. You “know” what is going on behind the scenes, and sometimes get handy tips from your guides, angels and your own inner knowing. People seek you out when faced with a dilemma that they can’t solve, and value your unique insights. The constant barrage of messages and impressions can drain your energy – so for your own protection, make sure you learn how to regulate your frequency.
If you selected mostly d’s: You’re “Semi-Sensitive.” You take the practical approach, keeping your sensitivity in check most of the time. You do a good job of living in the moment and practicing self-care. Increasing your level of mindful focus when around others will deliver some rewarding benefits to yourself and those around you.
*This quiz came from well known Psychic Medium James Van Praagh
Working as a Soul Coach I am able to assist you if you suffer as I did from being a HSP. A few sessions of Spiritual Hygiene 101 you will begin to reclaim your life and life without the stress of others emotions draining your energy!
Felicia Grant is a Certified Advanced Soul Coaching practitioner, Intuitive Medium & USUI Holy Fire Reiki Master.
Helping women ignite their passion!
Join us for The DragonflyExperience Women’s Retreat in Dahlonega GA at the beautiful Dahlonega Spa Resort.
Let Felicia help you create your own DragonflyExperience and Re-establish your divine connection to your spirit.
Find yourself on the nature trails, explore your own spiritual journey on the labyrinth, Enjoy the sunset from the open air jacuzzi and commune with your tribe or luxuriate in a healing spa massage treatment.
If you are ready to step into your own personal power this retreat will give you the tools you need. Helping you to discover their true soul’s mission and live an authentic life carrying out your souls purpose. This retreat will focus on deep inner work fusing in yoga, energy work and meditation to create lasting transformation.
Sometimes there are inner barriers that limit your ability to step into your soul’s potential.
It’s time to release them!
For more information about Felicia Grant + Dragonfly Experience Retreats visit my website at feliciagrant.com
Felicia Grant is a Holy Fire Reiki Master, Certified Psychic Medium and Advanced Soul Coaching practitioner® with a private practice in Wilmington, NC